Thursday, September 29, 2011

MLB Playoff Preview

After a better than expected run for the wild card, we take a look at upcoming playoff series. By Mike Izzo


Well you can’t say the wild card races weren’t exciting, and that’s something that nobody predicted a month ago when they both seemed locked up. After Wednesday night let me just say this: I have never been more grateful that I have two TV’s in my living room. 



Here’s how I see the divisional rounds playing out:


Yankees vs. Tigers
It’s hard to argue against C.C Sabathia in the first round, but he’s going against Justin Verlander. After the season Verlander has had, he has the edge. This whole series hinges on who wins game two. Slated to start this pivotal game is Ivan Nova (16-4, 3.70 ERA, 165 IP, 98 SO, 1.33 WHIP) for the Yankees and Doug Fister (11-13, 2.83 ERA, 216.1 IP, 146 SO, 1.06 WHIP) for the Tigers, both in their first playoff starts. Statistics point to Fister, but this year he’s pitched nearly 50 innings longer than he ever has, so fatigue may be setting in. Give it to Nova and the Yankees at home.

Series Prediction: Yankees in 5

Rangers vs. Rays
A rematch of last year’s divisional matchup, I see the same result as last year. It’s hard to count out the Rays after a gutsy performance to make it to the playoffs, but it will take more than Shields and Longoria to make it past the Rangers, especially with a worn out bullpen and Texas rested and ready to play. The Rays may win one game on momentum alone, but it won’t be enough to get past the best hitting team in the majors this season.

Series Prediction: Rangers in 4

Phillies vs. Cardinals
I’m not going against the Phillies rotation in the first round, especially after the Cards threw their best pitcher on Wednesday. Solid hitting from Pujols, Holliday, and Berkman won’t save them. By the time Carpenter takes the mound, it may be too late.

Series Prediction: Phillies in 3

Brewers vs. Diamondbacks
In terms of hitting, starting pitching, and bullpen, I give the edge to the Brew Crew. The only way Arizona can make this a battle is if the 1-2 punch of Fransisco Rodriguez and John Axford start to tire after their 70+ inning workloads this year. Still, I see that as doubtful. Superior fielding and Justin Upton won’t save the Diamondbacks, and I fully expect ace Ian Kennedy to fold under the playoff pressure. A great divisional run comes to an end.

Series Prediction: Brewers in 4

No comments:

Post a Comment