By Carly Signor
Joe Gibbs Racing announced on Tuesday that Brian
Vickers will be driving a full-time Nationwide schedule in 2013. This comes after a year of him running
a part-time Sprint Cup schedule with Michael Waltrip Racing.
A NASCAR rule change a few years ago stated that
a driver can only earn points in one of the top three NASCAR series.
![]() |
| AP Photo/ Steve Helber |
Vickers returns to the Nationwide series after
claiming 2 Sprint Cup Series victories.
He is a past winner of not only Nationwide races, but the 2003
Nationwide Championship.
JGR also announced that Dollar General will be
Vickers’ full-time primary sponsor, something rare in today’s NASCAR
sponsorships.
“I'm very happy to stay in the Toyota family, and
when you look at the Nationwide Series over the past several years, no team has
dominated like Joe Gibbs Racing,” Vickers said. “Hopefully, we'll be able to get Dollar General, Toyota and
JGR a Nationwide Series championship next season."
Vickers isn’t the only Sprint Cup winner that has
announced a move to Nationwide this year.
At the end of October, JR Motorsports introduced Regan Smith as the
full-time driver of the No. 5 Nationwide series car.
"This is an extremely good opportunity for
me," Smith said in a team statement. "Dale Jr. and I first started
talking about this several years ago, but the timing never matched up to where
we could make it happen. Now it's time. I'm happy to be a part of this
organization. I don't want to just win races. I want to be the team that
dominates races and contends for the championship."

No comments:
Post a Comment