Monday, February 11, 2013

Hatchell Gets 900!


UNC Women’s basketball team puts up impressive win as coach reaches a milestone

By Joshua Walls

AP Photo/ Winslow Townson
This week, one of the best coaches in basketball reached an epic milestone that is not to be forgotten. UNC’s women’s head basketball coach, Sylvia Hatchell, was able to claim her 900th career win with a blowout over Boston College. 

With the great milestone, the 3-time Coach of the Year was able to reflect and laugh on some steps she took to reach this level. “I drove the bus. If the floor needed sweeping, I swept it,” Hatchell said. “Sometimes, especially on holidays, I’d wash the uniforms when the managers were on vacation.”

Hatchell has worked hard and remained dedicated throughout her 38-year career, but many applaud her for her humility. “I think the greatest compliment that I have heard from a lot of people is that you ain’t changed a bit,” Hatchell said.

Hatchell did a fantastic job coaching her team throughout this game. Three of Hatchell’s players reached double digits in points, which led to a 28-point win.

Even coach Smith from Leon had some nice words to say about Coach Hatchell, “I think the biggest thing is just teaching players how to be champions in life,” Smith said. “If you throw all of coach Hatchell’s wins out the window, you still have such a strong foundation to stand on.”

No comments:

Post a Comment