We say goodbye to recently retired Portland Trail Blazer Brandon Roy. By Jeff Laboon
Former rookie of the year Brandon Roy of the Portland Trail Blazers retired Friday because of the knee injury that has kept him sidelined for parts of the last two seasons.
Roy came into the league in 2006 as the sixth overall pick by the Minnesota Timberwolves. The T-Wolves then traded him to the Blazers for Randy Foye. Roy played only 55 games in his rookie campaign, but his 16.8 points and 4.0 assists per game were enough to get him rookie of the year honors.
Friday was a very emotional day for the 27-year-old Seattle native.
"This is a very difficult
and painful day," Roy said to Trail Blazers.com. "I love the game, I love the Portland Trail Blazers and I
love our fans, but after consulting with my doctors, I will seek a
determination that I've suffered a career ending injury, pursuant to the
rules of the collective bargaining agreement."
Roy appeared in three All-Star Games in only four seasons in the league and quickly earned his place in Blazers lore. Friday morning before practice, teammate Marcus Camby pointed to the rafters in the practice facility, saying Roy's No. 7 deserved to be hanging, too.
Celebrate a career cut short with this mixtape.
No comments:
Post a Comment